Me being Mom

Me being Mom
photo by Anna Marie Pictorials

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

That's what I didn't say





(This was my speech. The speech that I planned on giving at my Uncle Mick's funeral) So, A man walks into a bar, orders a beer, chugs it and looks in his shirt pocket. He does this a few more times until the bartender asks him "Hey Man, why do you keep buying a beer, chugging it and looking in your shirt pocket?". The guy replies "Well, I've got a picture of my wife in my pocket and I'm going to keep on drinking until she looks good enough for me to go home.

I think Mick was ready to go home and he would've wanted us to be OK with that. He wouldn't want us to sit around and cry over his death. He would absolutely want us to celebrate his life. He would want us to carry on. Mick had a positive impact on all of us in one way or another. He didn't believe in giving up and he would not tolerate the words "I can't". He encouraged us to keep pushing on. So that's what we have to do.

It's true. Mick was so many things to so many people. He was a loyal friend to anyone he met, a loving son, a forgiving father and for many of us kids he was more than just an uncle. He was a father to those of us who needed one. And I can't even tell you how Thankful I am to Chas for sharing her Dad with every single one of us. It probably wasn't the easiest thing for her to do but she did it and I love her for it!

Mick was a joker. He was the worst person to be around if you're trying to have a bad day! You could walk into his shop with a dilemma and walk out feeling inspired, with the mindset that anything is possible. He taught us so much. The knowledge I took from him is something that I hope to pass on to my own children. And I think that this says it all:


Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, let go of what you can't change, Love deeply, forgive quickly. Take chances (but your helmet on first) and give your everything. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Take the good with the bad & the happy with the sad. Love what you have and remember what you had. Never ever take yourself too seriously and never ever ever keep a good joke to yourself.

Uncle Mick was the closest thing I have ever had to a father. He was everything a father should be. Loving and tolerant. Patient and wise. But most of all he was there. He might be gone from this earth but he will never be gone from our hearts. The best of him lives on in us. His sense of humor and sarcasm will live on through those of us who were lucky enough to be mentored by him! Thank you Uncle Mick for being the best teacher ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment