Me being Mom

Me being Mom
photo by Anna Marie Pictorials

Monday, June 20, 2011

Do yourself a favor!



I make a little extra cash by making invites, party favors and simple party decor for weddings, showers and blah! blah! not to mention the little hair flower gig I have going on too. It's a nice set up I have. I get to work from home, it cuts back on the need for daycare or a sitter and well, it's pretty darn convenient! [Exhale!] But, I'm also a huge advocate of "Doing it yourself!". So, today I'm on the phone with a bride whom I have made invitations for in the past and now she is thinking about favors! I love favors! Such a great way to add a personal touch to your special event! There are so many themed favors out there now adays! It's not hard to get caught up in them all! So, today while I was talking to this bride she asked me what kind of favor I would do for her theme! I rambled on all of these ideas and then told her how easy it would be to do them herself! She went on and on about how she could never pull it off and that the only thing she has ever made was a mess! Yap! Yap! Yap! Well, I don't buy that! I think everyone has the potential to be creative! Don't sell yourself short! You just have to find something you're passionate about! In the end I talked her into whipping up her own favors, taking business away from myself! Oh! I'm that good! I could use the extra money, it's true but in the end I have to remind myself that in helping her figure out her favors I did her a huge favor, made a friend and managed to do something selfless! Humph! Soooo not the person I use to be! There was a time when "do it yourself" was accompanied by a middle finger and meant a totally different thing for me! Now it means, You can make this yourself and it will be awesome (accompanied with a high five)!



So do yourself a favor! Don't be afraid to try a DIY project! Empower yourself! I've said it before! Prove to yourself that you can tackle a project and come out triumphant! Or at least come out with hot glue burns on your fingers and forearms, maybe a paper cut or two! Tons of fun! One of the simplest favors a gal can make in my opinion is the classic tulle and candy! For my wedding I found Tulle Circles in the clearance section of Michaels for 50 cents a pack. Each pack holds 24 circles! I'm a bargain shopper! These are worth the price you would normally pay though because they are precut! I hate cutting things out! So this was an extra special buy for me! Ok. Got the tulle circles, now what do I put in them? Well, you've heard that saying "When life hands you lemons..."? Well, I like to finish it by saying ....."Celebrate something!". So, I am filling my tulle circles with lemon drops! A few years ago life handed me lemons! Boo hoo! Poor me! Whah! But in the process of me trying to convince myself that I wasn't a horrible person and that someone would come along and love me for the dysfunctional human being that I am, I found an amazing man who makes me laugh and loves me and most importantly has been wonderful to my teenage boys! He is my rock! So, the lemon drops have a little story behind them. But, you could put anything in there that you wanted! Skittles! Reece's Cups, Oreo Cookies! Do a little bit of this and that! Mix it up! Tie a piece of ribbon around it and you're done! You could even print out little thank you tags, cut them out and string them on with your ribbon! See, simple! You can do it! You're going to fall in love with favors and the next thing you know.....You're making them for no reason at all! I saved a bunch of money on my car insurance.....let's make favors! My ex gained 25 lbs and is losing his hair! Let's make favors! FAVORS FAVORS FAVORS! Aaaaaaaghhhhhhh!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment