Me being Mom

Me being Mom
photo by Anna Marie Pictorials

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Lies Brides Tell : A public service announcement



I've learned a few things about DIY wedding planning and I wanted to share these lessons with you. I read wedding blogs. I love weddingbee.com. I like to look at the pictures and see what other brides are doing. A lot of the brides share their DIY projects with other brides and it's very helpful. But occasionally you will run across a bride who is so full of crap that you just have to bust her out! This bride is telling me I can easily make 100 welcome bags for my out of town guests for as little as $1 a piece? Liar! If you read the blogs you can smell what I'm stepping in!



So, this is where I feel like myth busters! The sister-cousin and I were recently discussing her upcoming nuptials. I call her the sister-cousin because well, she's like my sister but technically she's my cousin! Anyway, she is having a beach wedding, stress free. That's her theme! We got on the subject of the flowers! The non-existent flowers. She didn't go to a florist to get her flowers. She had all intentions of growing the flowers herself. This is the first lie I want to uncover because I think it's a mistake to rely solely on your growing skills to get the job done. But, here we are, a few days away from her wedding and there are no flowers blooming in her yard. There are no flowers blooming in my yard either! So, now we are going to improvise. When you're planning a wedding you should always be prepared to improvise! So, to the bride who said "I grew the flowers for my wedding bouquet and it was so easy!" I think you are a liar! You failed miserably! You bought your flowers from fiftyflowers.com and you know it!!



Lesson 2! A beach wedding is not a stress free wedding! Myth Busted! A beach wedding holds the same chances of disaster as any other wedding! Hello! Seagulls! Nude bathers! And don't get me started on all of the rules there are! No glass on the beach? NO fire? How on earth will we have a beach wedding without the fire breathing man who also juggles flaming batons? It's just unheard of! A beach wedding can be simple if your family owns the beach! But, it's still a wedding and a wedding of any theme requires a guest list and all of the other to-do's that make a wedding stressful!



Lie #3 and this is my favorite. It is easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission. Whoever said that has clearly never tried to take white peonies from the Burger King parking lot in broad daylight! oops! Try asking permission first! If that doesn't work then I suggest you go back after dark, fake a flat tire and load up on the flowers! Don't be greedy though. A greedy bride is an ugly bride!

Lie#4 and this is the last one I tackle today. It's cheaper to DIY your wedding. That's not always true! If you take on the task of making favors, for instance. And the task requires all of these fancy tools that you don't have......well, either you're borrowing said fancy tools or you're buying them. If you're buying them then that's an added expense! The DIY wedding invites that you wanted to make.......You know, the ones with the fancy embossing and the cool edging? Do you own the tools to make those invites? If you don't it's going to cost you! So, before you tackle that DIY project make a list of all of the tools you will need to get the job done and ask yourself if it's really worth it! When you read that blog about how great another brides DIY invites turned out and how special they were because she poured her heart and soul into them, ask her how much money she poured into making them before you get these ideas of grandeur! Just sayin!

No comments:

Post a Comment