Me being Mom

Me being Mom
photo by Anna Marie Pictorials

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Lead by example

I say it often. I try to practice it myself. But, I know it's not always easy being a Mom. But please, try to lead by example! I live in an area that is populated mostly by ignorant people. Sorry, it's the truth. There are days when I think a trip to the store will end with me strangling someone. Yesterday I had to run into Walmart really quick. It's close to my home and I know the store like the back of my hand! I know it's a gathering point for the mentally insane but it's convenient. Of course, I needed juice for the toddler. It's located at the back of the store! As I entered the store I immediately hear a girl yelling at a screaming child "You want me to slap you?". (Just once I want to hear a kid say "Yes! Absolutley, that's what I'm going for here! Please slap me!) Get me away from these screaming people! The poor kid looks like she hasn't been bathed in a week, her clothes don't fit her and she is far from matching, red white and blue shorts and a hot pink pajama top! She has milk or some unidentified food caked on her face. I immediately reach for my small pack of wipes, I want so badly to clean this child's face and hug her and buy her clean clothes and rescue her. But, it's not my business. And when the fiance said "No more pets" I think he meant that to include kids too! Just a wild guess! So, I keep moving. I find the juice, grab a few bottles and make my way back to the front of the store. Somewhere by the cereal aisle I hear "Hey! You gotta DOOKY!? You better not dooky in your pants!". Is that even a word? dooky? And it sounds so nasty! Dooky! ugh! The poor child is still screaming! And the teenage Mom is still acting a fool! And it really pisses me off.
I know it's hard to be a Mom. But it's as hard as you make it! Kids need a few basic things. Love and affection is important. They don't need a life filled with chaos and screaming. If you give them your time and some guidance they will love you forever. This teenage Mom just kept getting more and more obnoxious and I could still hear her as I was walking out the sliding doors. It's not like me to keep my mouth shut. But I did.
Walking out of that store, hearing her screaming at that poor kid was hard for me to do and it's been bothering me for days. It's a viscious cycle we live in. Kids are learning from the worst teachers in the world. Thier parents.... I'm not Mom of the year. But I know that if you want respect, you give respect. If you want your child to stop screaming you should try shutting your yap too! It's a simple theory I have. We lead by example. You can lead your child to the wrong path if you're not careful. And then the cycle starts all over. So, what do you do when you're faced with an obnoxious anti-Mom in Walmart? You can't save the world. You could possibly lose a few teeth trying. I've imagined myself without my two front teeth, it isn't pretty! But next time. I'm walking right up to that......customer service desk and complaining! Can you make a citizens arrest for something like that?

1 comment: