Me being Mom

Me being Mom
photo by Anna Marie Pictorials

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Times are Tough.

A year ago I started selling some of the goodies I make. It all started when my best friend needed hair flowers for her daughters dance troop. I made 3 dozen!  From there I got more orders from people who saw the dance troop and fell in love. I started making other things, cupcake pix, glass tile pendants, bookmarks, invitations, party favors.  I did a craft show and more orders came in. I opened an etsy shop and then found myself unable to keep up! I didn't enjoy that. I had a very hard time working from home. We have very little space for me to claim as work space and being home with a toddler who is into everything was harder than I imagined it would be.  I couldn't get anything done and the orders were overwhelming me. Custom orders were not being paid for and I found myself losing money. House work was being ignored. It was a viscous cycle. I found myself struggling to be an efficient mother. Anybody who is friends with me on facebook might remember me feeling guilty about following my dreams. Well, that was right around the time I was having issues with my business venture. My inability to price items was a major downfall. I seem to have a problem charging for my time. Now that I look back I realize that I was basically charging people for the materials I was using. I guess I didn't put enough value on my own time.  I was my own worst enemy and I'm having a hard time finding the joy in it anymore.

I volunteer as a craft teacher now and don't spend a lot of time crafting for profit. But, times are tough and we need money so very desperately right now. Yet for some reason I just can't seem to get back in the groove of selling. I'm not a good salesperson to begin with. But, in a few weeks I will be setting up shop at a local craft show where I will put on a confident smile and hope people don't look at my wares and think "I'd be better off making that myself." I've been using up all of my left over supplies, hoping to get rid of it and make some of the money back that I lost.

Christmas Baubles Glass tile Pendant Neclace by TooTsie Designs
Denim Flower Headband by TooTsie Designs
Times are tough folks. Try to buy local when you can. Support the local farmers and local artisans. We're all just trying to follow a dream and support a family. I know it's so much easier to stop in at the big box store and get everything on your list. But, please stop in at one of the local craft shows and check out the quality craftsmanship that the local artisans have to offer! If you already do that then Thank you from the bottom of my heart!!!  

2 comments:

  1. Are you doing the Hartford craft show? If not, which one are you doing? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to stay close to home so I'm doing one at the VFW in Benton Harbor across from the college on NOV. 19th. It's from 10 til 3!

    ReplyDelete