Me being Mom

Me being Mom
photo by Anna Marie Pictorials

Friday, October 14, 2011

Me + eyeshadow= Train wreck

My best friend recently visited me  while back in the states from Australia! I was so shocked when she called and said "I'm coming for lunch!" I screamed with excitement! It scared the cat.

She said "I'll be there in 45 minutes to pick you up!" and at the time it seemed like enough time to get myself ready but once I hung up the phone and stepped into my closet and realized that I have no clothes..... panic set in and I wanted to cry.

I hadn't seen her in years. YEARS! We speak on the phone almost everyday! .....Ok maybe it had been a year! It seems longer! She's a size 4, long blonde hair, has fake....well, she's bigger than God intended her to be. She's the mother to a hand full of kids and she looks like she should be the poster child for fit and 40! I hate her.......just a smidgen! But I love her at the same time because she is such a beautiful person on the inside. I can look past her outer gorgeousness and see the inner beauty. It doesn't make me want to vomit a little. Anyway, I am not a size 4, I have frizzy unruly hair and I've had 3 kids and it shows! I should be the poster child for "What not to wear" and "People of Walmart". That's me! I was not Prom Queen!

Hourglass Studios took this amazing photo!
So, I'm standing in my closet thinking "She's going to think I've gone off the deep end!" if I wore my usual uniform of yoga pants and the husbands T shirt. It felt like I was going on a first date or something. I threw something young and ridiculously girly together, washed my hair and shaved my arm pits just in case I had to lift my arms. I watched a quick how to video on youtube on how to get that smokey eye look. After getting the "black eye" look a couple of times I gave up and  ended up with charcoal grey on one eye and a dark mocha on the other. Geesh. I'm the definition of Train wreck.

So, she arrives a little late as usual and I run out of the house with the toddler in tow. I don't want my bff to come in the house and see the state it's in. She takes one look at me and absolutely screeches! It literally made me jump! We hugged and she kept the screech going. Then she says "You look awesome!". Her southern twang is just the sweetest thing and I can tell when she's lying. She really meant what she said and I let her know that I did not feel pretty. She couldn't believe I would say such a thing! And asked what in the world would make me feel pretty then? I didn't know how to answer it. So, it got me to thinking.

What makes me feel pretty? And why don't I work harder to achieve that feeling? Why don't I try to make myself feel good about ME? Well, you'll just have to check back tomorrow if you want to know! :) Because this might take more thinking than I want to do right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment