Me being Mom

Me being Mom
photo by Anna Marie Pictorials

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Pep talk

From designeriphone.tumbler.com
I've spent the majority of the morning making excuses to myself for not pushing myself forward. I hate it when people make excuses and here I am doing that very thing. I want to set up a booth at a local craft show. I have plenty of materials to make the things I could sell. I already have a healthy stock saved up of items to sell to begin with. But, I have a little self doubt. I don't know why. Suddenly I am scared that I won't sell anything or that people will look at my stuff and say "Wow....that's interesting!" then walk by and laugh at me.

I am behaving like the person I was 10 years ago. Hiding my passion for life, full of self doubt. I don't like this person and would like nothing more than to beat her up! High five her in the face. But thankfully, I have a great friend who gives me a serious pep talk when I feel like doing these things to myself. She has a way with words.

"Get over yourself!" is usually what she says. But what she really means is......"There are people out there who think like you do, as scary as that sounds! Not everyone has to love your stuff. Do it for you!" Then she reminds me that I'm showing early signs of being a people pleaser! Somebody stop me!

So, here I am. There's something in front of me that I want. But I'm frozen by fear. Worried that I will fail. I have to ask myself. What would Stephanie Plum do? Ok. Maybe not Stephanie Plum! What would I tell someone else going through the same ordeal as me?

The words come to me as easily as the lyrics to a Beastie Boys song. 

You Gotta Fight! For your RIGHT! TO.......

Maybe not! Ok....How about this...."Just take small steps towards what you want. Don't look at the possibility that you'll fail. Look at the goal. Take it one hurdle at a time. If you stack up all of your hurdles in one place it's a bit overwhelming. Duh! Don't do that! But more importantly, Just take a step forward. You will never know until you try......Remember your girls who had never tried to make anything, who were scared to try? Remember how proud they were when they tried and pulled it off?"

So, I will move forward. One step at a time. My goal: Set up a booth at the fall bizarre. That's it. I won't hold high expectations. If I sell something, GREAT! If I make enough money to buy fabric softener.....bonus! I tried! It's better than not trying and being disappointed in myself for giving up.

Thanks for the Pep talk! Now go put your pom poms away and for the love of God, take the cheer leading uniform off! You look ridiculous! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment