Me being Mom

Me being Mom
photo by Anna Marie Pictorials

Friday, September 23, 2011

5 hr Self Esteem Boost


Organza flowers! They require no water and live forever! WIN!
Please keep in mind that I am a mother of 3 children, not a middle aged man seeking the attention of a much....much much....much younger woman. Now answer me this....How do you boost a teenage girls self esteem? How do raise their opinion of themselves?  

Having been a teenage girl once.....or for a few years myself, I......have to admit that I have no idea what makes a teenage girl tick in this day and age!! But, I once suffered and still struggle at times with self esteem issues of my own. There! I said it! I'm not going to put on the front that I am a confident well rounded woman who knows I am a queen, able to do anything in the world that I set my mind to! At times I doubt myself and drag my feet when it comes to moving forward. I even, doubt my abilities as a responsible parent. Which makes me wonder why any person in their right mind would ask me to teach 8 teenage girls how to be crafty and mentor them to boot! What were they thinking? Obviously, a psych evaluation was not required!

I'm crafty. I'm witty. I've made mistakes. I've learned from them. I don't mind talking about it and I have a no nonsense attitude and a stone cold stare that would scare the pants off of anybody except my toddler. I guess I have what it takes to get my point across??? Apparently I do because today I gave 8 teenage girls who have very little positive reinforcement in their lives a self esteem boost! And I have to tell you it felt awesome!

How did I do it? I helped them accomplish something. It was that simple! I taught them how to make something! In the beginning at least 6 of the girls told me that they could not make a simple organza flower! I could see it in their eyes. They did not believe in themselves. It was a sad thing! I assured them that they could and when they insisted that theirs wouldn't be as good as mine, I told them to prove it! Put your money where your mouth is sister and show me what you think you ain't got!!!

I dare you to TRY! You will never know if you CAN unless you try! One foot in front of the other! One step at a time! Make an honest effort!  Cut your organza! Melt the edges. Stack the pieces and add your beads. They took the steps. They made the flowers. They were so proud of themselves! And I think I might have a few girls who are now addicted to crafts! I have converted them! Yay me!

 YAY THEM!

Positve reinforcement! Give it to someone today!! It's a win-win situation!




No comments:

Post a Comment