Me being Mom

Me being Mom
photo by Anna Marie Pictorials

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Becoming the CHEF!



When I was a much younger housewife......long long ago, I cooked breakfast, lunch and dinner. We didn't eat at McDonalds too often. And come to think of it, I was much thinner back then. Over the years, I tried to keep up with that habit. But, then I met my husband and that all fell apart. He's a very picky eater. I felt the meals I was cooking were not satisfying everyone. He wanted more meat and none of the rabbit food and the kids wanted more Mexican! I just want to be able to afford to feed us all! I don't want to have to resort to stealing a cow and butchering it myself! So to make everyone happy we ate out more! If we went to a restaurant at least I knew they were all getting what they wanted. But, as you know  a Big mac costs way more than it use to!

And that means I am not cooking at all! Breakfast is a bowl of cereal or a frozen waffle instead of a couple scrambled eggs and toast! Lunch is ramen noodles or a little frozen pizza instead of a PBJ or grilled cheese and macaroni. I'm sure those aren't the ideal health nut lunch of choice but it's my healthy version.

I use to love to cook! I loved to follow a recipe or make up my own. I liked to plan out meals and grocery shop. But lately I just feel like it's a wasted effort since nobody is ever on the same page and money is tight. It's hard to make a buck stretch now adays! So, I'm on a mission to find budget friendly meals that please the population. No more fast food! Only on special occasions! And even though managing to clean the entire house in one day is reason to celebrate, unfortunately it is NOT a special occasion! Oh! Neon Grill, I will miss you dearly!

So, as I was out wandering around the world wide web yesterday, looking for recipes,  I ran across The Pioneer Woman's blog! Let me first say this........I am in love with her! She cooks with BEER for crying out loud!  I'm brewing a serious crush on her as we speak! Anyhoo, if you check out her blog you will immediately understand why I am in love! Or maybe you already know of her and these words that I spew are nothing new to you! If you haven't heard of her....look her up! 

Last night I followed one of her simple, speedy recipes for fried round steak! It was simply superb and sooooo easy to make!  http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/08/fried-round-steak/
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Do you smell what I'm saying? I have to admit....mine looked just like the picture above! Cooking that meal made me feel like a chef again! I felt good about myself! So happy I got back to that and I look forward to cooking another meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment