Me being Mom

Me being Mom
photo by Anna Marie Pictorials

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Decisions. Decisions.

When I was pregnant with my daughter I had sleep issues. I could barely get myself moving during the day and then at night I couldn't sleep. So I camped out on my huge plush couch with a healthy snack (not usually) and a good movie or book.

Maybe I had sleep issues because I had so much on my mind; choosing a name was a top priority for me and honestly I did stress over it. I wanted my baby girl to have a strong name. I wanted her to have a unique name. So as I read books and watched movies I paid attention to character names.

One night, after the boys went to bed I popped the rented movie I had into the DVD player, popped a bag of popcorn and cuddled up on the couch; just like I had done so many nights before.

Let me back track a bit. My boys, who were barely teenagers at the time were constantly making name suggestions and even though it was a sweet gesture I felt I didn't need help picking out a name. But one night as I was hunkered down with a good book, my oldest son came out of his room, barely awake and suggested a name. I said "hmmm? That's a cool name" sent him back to bed and went back to my book, filing the name in the back of my head with all of the other names.

So back to movie night. There I was lounging with my popcorn and hot sauce, watching Doomsday. I like a good action movie and it certainly had a lot of that. It also had a strong female character which I instantly fell in love with. She was a total bad ass and as I watched the movie I tried to figure out her name. They only called her "major" or "Sinclair"; her last name. I had to know her name. I literally said out loud" I will name my baby girl after this chick!" and then a part of the movie came along where someone asks " what did they call you before they called you major?" and she said "Eden".

I gasped when I heard the name because, you see, it was the same name my son suggested after stumbling out of his bedroom that night. The name I filed to the back of my mind. The same name he didn't remember suggesting the next morning! He had no idea where he heard it from or why he even suggested it! Weird.

It's amazing how the things you think are the most important decisions in the world are so easily brought to light. I did name my baby girl Eden an she is beautiful and bad and I love her to pieces. I bring this up because I'm laying in bed watching Doomsday and it reminded me of how I was so silly to stress over naming my baby like I did. Don't stress about things, especially the what-ifs! Make your decision and don't question it later. Just wallow in the greatness of each gifted day!

No comments:

Post a Comment