Me being Mom

Me being Mom
photo by Anna Marie Pictorials

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Working It Out

I recently started sweating at the gym with my sister and my cousin. If you read my previous post you know that I did it for various reasons. Most importantly, it was to help myself live longer. I changed my eating habits. Cut out sweets to a certain extent.....I still drink an occasional Mt. Dew with tons of ice. But, one of the perks of this new journey I've set out on......reconnecting with my girls.

I got married in August. When I started planning the wedding I had 4 bridesmaids in mind. When I walked down the aisle I followed only 3. One of my bridesmaids and I grew apart for a short time while I was planning my wedding. She had so much going on in her own life that I didn't feel like her heart was in it and I also didn't agree with the choices she was making. I was wrong to think that my opinion mattered. I'm not saying that as a smart @ss. I am saying, it was not my place to judge. The deadline came to order my wedding flowers. I had to make a choice. Once I put in that order I couldn't take it back. I didn't want my Mom to pay for a bridesmaid bouquet when the bridesmaid didn't even have the dress. So, I had to make a decision. Do I tell my rogue bridesmaid to forget about her commitment or do I say "listen! I'm not happy with the effort you're putting out here! Get your ass in gear and get your friggin' dress!"? I chose to tell her to forget about it. In hind sight, I should've told her I was disappointed (as if anyone wants to hear that they're disappointing you) because I really think she didn't mean to not jump when I asked......lol.....That sounded bridezilla-like. Anyway, you can't go back. So we go forward and repair what we can. Shoulda, Coulda and Woulda!

My cousin, the rogue bridesmaid, is such a sweet heart! She would give you the world if you told her it would make you happy. She also got dealt a crappy hand in her first marriage, suffered some low self esteem and still has trust issues. You gotta love her for pulling through. I couldn't let our relationship fall away. I love the time we have together. So, when the opportunity came up to start working out with her and my sister at the gym, I had to do it. And I'm so happy that I did! It has been so nice to get back on track with her. She is the size of a supermodel, minus the height, so trotting next to her on a treadmill is a bit daunting and I'll be honest there are times when I want to push her off balance. But, overall, it has been the best part of going to the gym!

Not only am I re-connecting with her and my sister. But, I feel so energized afterwards. Talk about a stress reducer! I leave the house and all the stress of the unfinished laundry and housework behind, walk a few miles on the treadmill or pump my legs on the elliptical and when I get home I suddenly don't care anymore! I just feel better! My problems don't disappear........but suddenly I feel like it doesn't matter as much! If you've found yourself in a slump I would highly recommend that you get physical! Get your blood pumping. You never know what you can achieve in the process!

No comments:

Post a Comment