Me being Mom

Me being Mom
photo by Anna Marie Pictorials

Monday, February 13, 2012

Tell them off gently

Like many women, I struggle with my self esteem issues........that and keeping my mouth shut. Recently, I decided to start checking things off of my bucket list. I've checked quite a few things off of my list. But, most of the things were easy, not a big deal. I thought, You know, I need to set a better example for my kids. Let them know that no dream is too small or too silly to chase. So, I picked something off of my list that I knew might make a few people say "What?".

So, I am chasing down my dream of becoming a published writer. I have no formal education at all. But, Years ago, I started a book. I've told that story. Lately, I have been putting a lot of energy into a new book. I've neglected my house work, made quicker easier meals just so I can spend a little more time on my writing. And yes, I've neglected the blog a bit. I'm sorry. You understand, right? So, anyway, I am working on this book. I don't tell too many people that I dream of someday talking about how happy I am to see my book on the top 100 list on amazon. I just keep it to myself. But, I ran into an old co-worker a few days ago and while we were talking she peeped the giant notebook in my purse and asked if I was back in school, as if I was ever really "IN" school to begin with. I told her no. She said "Well, what are you doing with that notebook, writing a book?". I said "Well, as a matter of fact I am!"...........She laughed and said "Really?" as if it was absolutely the most ridiculous thing she has ever heard. I said "Sure. Why not. I want to inspire someone and I think putting a story together that will inspire someone is a good idea.". She told me that "real writers" work for years to get published blah blah. I stopped listening when she insinuated that I was not a real writer. Sure. I didn't go to school to learn how to tell a story. But, there is a story in me and I'm gonna tell it whether she wants to be supportive or not.

They say a hater will hate. I don't know if she was hating on me or not but I became so defensive. I was almost a blubbering idiot! I said "You can laugh and try to convince me that I can't do this but, it's my dream and I want to do this bad enough that I won't let your negativity sway me. I want to set an example for my kids."...........She shrugged her shoulders and said "When I was younger, I wanted to be a tour guide in Paris." ........I said "Well, why don't you do that then?".......She told me it was a silly dream.

I don't think it's a silly dream. There's a man in California that dreams of covering his entire body with green ink tattoos. He wants to look like a lizard. Is it a silly dream? Who cares. It isn't our place to judge. I use to think that to dream meant to be young and adventurous. It's not. To dream to is to think beyond the labels we are given by our kids and others. I'm thinking beyond "Mama", beyond "Wife". I'm thinking about who I am as an individual. This is my dream and I'm going to chase it down like a Kardashian chases down a basketball player!

What do you dream of doing?

2 comments:

  1. You should have told her that being kind and considerate of others will take you farther in life than any degree or acquired skill. What would she know about being a "real" writer? How easy it must be for her to strike down your ambitions when she has already done so to her own.....keep writin' honey. I'm reading. :)

    ReplyDelete