Me being Mom

Me being Mom
photo by Anna Marie Pictorials

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Fightin Words



When my boys were little, before they decided they were too cool to be read to at night, a friend of mine introduced me to a book about a young boy who found out he was a wizard. I was looking for a new book to read to the boys when we were bored or at bedtime. At first I thought it would be too long of a book to keep them interested. But, I bought it and that night when I put them to bed I said "Tonight I'm going to start a new book that will take a long time to read. But Julia says it's a good book! It's called Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone." And so it began. Our nightly reading turned into something that the boys and I could bond over. We looked forward to the days when it rained and we couldn't go outside! When the oldest boy was old enough he started reading the books on his own and soon after that the movies started being released. We saw every single one on opening night. This is something the boys and I have done together. I cherish the moments. But, recently I was told that I was wrong for participating in the big "Harry Potter bullsh!t". And that it was ridiculous to throw it at my kids. Gasp! Them's Fightin' Words sister!



If there's one thing that gets my blood boiling it's telling someone they are wrong for finding joy in something! Tell a woman who loves chocolate that it's ridiculous to love chocolate! I double dog dare you! Oh! It will not be pleasant! I know witchcraft is taboo to most. But, for me and my boys it wasn't a story about witchcraft. It was a story about overcoming trials in life. Lord knows Harry Potter has met a few! The story has so many good messages! I understand that it isn't for everyone. Love it or hate it! It's up to you! I personally love the books and the movies. Please don't tell me I'm wrong! Please don't tell my boys that having an imagination is a bad thing! We live in a society where teenage boys sit and play violent video games all day and none of them teach these boys that he with the biggest heart will prevail! NO! It's all about he who hath the biggest baddest GUNS! So, excuse the hell out of me for encouraging my boys to pick up a book, use their imagination and find joy in a heartfelt story! And by the way, where'd you get your "Team Edward" shirt? It's nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment