Me being Mom

Me being Mom
photo by Anna Marie Pictorials

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Baby Steps...

In order to get over my fear of sharing my work, I am going to start posting snippets of my writing. Eek! Baby Steps! I can do this. Do something every day that scares the ever-loving crap out of you! Well, this is me, doing just that. Please keep in mind, I am an unseasoned writer.
Anyway, here it goes. This is the opening to a story I've been working on about a Fugitive Apprehension Agent. I'm still trying to mold her. I'm hoping she turns out to be a likeable character and I can turn it into a series. Who doesn't love a dysfunctional FBI agent?




Mercy
   
    Its nights like this that make me wish I would’ve listened to my high school counselor and enrolled in the mortuary science program at the local college after graduation. I’m sure being in that line of work would never require me to get all dressed up in this low cut blouse and skin tight jeans. The wig, I can almost tolerate because it hides my ear piece but the spiked heels are killing me and serve no purpose other than to make me look like an idiot as I try to maneuver my way across this gravel parking lot.
    I can’t wait to finish this job so I can get out of these ridiculous clothes. If it were up to me, this night would be taking a totally different route. It wouldn’t involve any sort of covert operation or spiked heels. My plan, go in, knock some heads together and leave. Leave the paperwork to the flunkies holding down the desk at the office. Simple enough.


    “Let’s hope I don’t have to run in these damn shoes,” I whisper.


   “Are you complaining?” a deep voice asks in my earpiece, reminding me that my babbling is not going unheard. I make my way into the foyer, stopping when the flow of traffic reaches a stand still. I had my heart set on reaching the bar but the human barricade in front of me no longer allows me to elbow my way through and I’ve made it as far as I can until the flow of traffic begins to move again. I never imagined that there would be this many desperate people in one place.


To be continued........

1 comment:

  1. Love it, well done. Baby steps is the key and you will write better the more you share. It's scary, I know, but there are a lot more people that will pat you on the back, rather than punch you in the face.

    ReplyDelete