Me being Mom

Me being Mom
photo by Anna Marie Pictorials

Friday, December 9, 2011

Mothers & Daughters


My Mom was a single Mom with a wonderful
support group! She never gave up!
In my lifetime, so far anyway, I have known so many women who have grown up without a mother in their life.These women never had that bond between mother & daughter, whether it was an aunt who took on the role of mom or a step mom....It was never there.  Then recently when I took on the role of craft teacher/mentor to my lost girls I realized that it's an epidemic. I know so many people focus on absent fathers. But what about the mothers who walk out (figuratively & mentally). It happens. And for our young women it's a tragedy. You might not know anyone who has done it or lived with it. But it does happen. Why?

Well, I think one of the reasons is this...... Sometimes we, as women,  are lacking a few things. A support system. The ability to cope. And......The knowledge that we can do anything in the world if we set our minds to it. And do you know why I think we're missing these things? (Don't get upset with me! This is only my opinion).......We're not raising our SONS right!

If you're a mother who is raising a son, take a minute to think about how you're raising them. What are you teaching them? Will they respect their wife or life partner? Will they talk down to her? Will they honor the bond of marriage? Will they take responsibility for their actions? If you are married to a man who does not treat you with respect, is not accountable or maybe he constricts you and makes you feel inferior......well you're setting a bad example. You're raising a son that could very well grow up to marry a woman who can't withstand the treatment he throws at her. He cuts her off from her friends and family. Makes her feel inadequate, like a horrible mother. She will either leave or check out mentally. It happens. It is a vicious cycle. It has to stop!  

Don't get me wrong. I think fully functional men can come from unstable homes. But I also think that unstable homes can produce toxic relationships in the future. I haven't set a good example in the past for my boys. But I'm trying to make it right now. I have a 3 year old daughter that I want to have healthy relationships in the future.I want her to be a strong independant woman who is in a healthy relationship. And right now she has a wonderful example of how a man should treat a woman. I couldn't ask for a better husband. He doesn't always know how to fix things but he does everything in his power to try!  So, ladies, please don't ever feel like you deserve anything less than the best! Never let go of your support system!!! If your husband is your support system and he is truly supportive of your happiness as an individual.....hold on to him because he is a good man! But please for the love of Mothers and Daughters......teach your sons to be a better man! Sometimes that means walking away from the wrong one. Lead by example.  

No comments:

Post a Comment