Me being Mom

Me being Mom
photo by Anna Marie Pictorials

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Kids dreams, parents nightmares

I am the Mom who says "I don't care what my kids want to be when they grow up as long as they are happy!". But apparently I am a big fat liar. Because I watched this movie trailer today and had a moment of panic when I imagined my youngest son, who dreams of joining the military, wearing the uniform, carrying the gun and dodging bullets. Suddenly I said "Over my dead body". I went from being the supportive parent to the selfish parent in a matter of 3 minutes. Wow! I think I have whiplash!


http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D6oLSBOIMX3o%26feature%3Dshare&h=LAQHObsERAQFT3N_saulG1E7R4uADLMSRrnQ_IZ1NytexnA

Image Detail
Act of Valor


I want my kids to follow their dreams. I really do. I don't want them to be afraid to try new things. But when I imagine them doing things that are dangerous it's always bungee jumping off of a really tall bridge in New Zealand or scaling the Castle at Disney world and being arrested for it! I guess when my son repeatedly voiced his desire to be a military man I never thought of the danger. I never realized that it could be my son saving a CIA agent from terrorists, putting his life on the line for a stranger. But, people do it everyday. GOD bless those people! GOD bless their families! [exhale]

When the time comes and my son signs the papers, packs a bag and drives away, I will have to be ready. I will have to stop being selfish and just be brave. I will be proud of him because he is all of the things I am not, brave and selfless. Or maybe he just wants to shoot people.....who knows. Well, actually, I do know. He wants to do what his dad did. Aircraft mechanic! Geez!  What am I worried about? He's not going to be hunting down terrorists! He'll be fixing the planes! Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment