Me being Mom

Me being Mom
photo by Anna Marie Pictorials

Friday, May 11, 2012

I still fit into the ring I wore in high school!

This story might blow your mind. Or it might make you run off and look for your own class ring. Either way, listen to this!

I graduated from high school in the 90's. We don't need to discuss the year, it's not important. Like a lot of high school students, I talked my mom into buying me a class ring! She was a single mom, working 2 jobs and going to school so i know she worked very hard for everything we had.

After many days of scanning the class ring catalog I finally picked out my class ring. Gold with hearts on one side because I didn't play sports and an Eskimo on the other because......well that was our school mascot!! I even got my signature engraved on the inside. It was beautiful and I loved it to death!

Then, a year and a half later I moved into my uncles house and lost my ring. I was heartbroken! I searched everywhere! I didn't want to tell my mom because I was ashamed that I lost something she worked so hard for.

Fast forward about 18 years........maybe more.....

It was my birthday. My family has a favorite local restaurant that we frequent, especially to celebrate a birthday. As we sat waiting for our food my son showed off his class ring. When I was asked if I had a class ring I had to tell my sad tale of irresponsibility and it made me sad.

We left the restaurant that night and headed home. My sister, who did not attend my bday dinner sent a text asking if I had a class ring in high school. "funny! We were just talking about that! I lost it remember?" .....she text me back "Carla found it behind the garage"

So just to clarify I called her. Sure enough, it was my ring! While doing yard clean up, someone found it in the dirt! After so many years I have been reunited with my class ring and I am happy to announce, it still fits!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment