Me being Mom

Me being Mom
photo by Anna Marie Pictorials

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Encourage Then stand back.

I wouldn't say I was ever discouraged by my mom when it came to expressing myself or creativity. I mean, she let me walk around with an earring in my nose when I was 15 years old. Keep in mind that this was taboo at the time! My mom tolerated it and I love her for that. She let me hang tiny mirrors all over my bedroom which didn't look bad but the toothpaste I used to adhere the mirrors didn't smell great after a while.

My Granny on the other hand, well she encouraged me to sew and embroidery but then nit picked the way I did things. I did beautiful embroidery! I just didn't do it her way. I didn't do most things her way and this caused many many bad days in my house.

My thoughts, as a parent, encourage the kiddos to be creative and then get the hell out of the way! Let them do their thing! Today the toddler found my iPhone laying on the table, brought up my hipstamatic app and began snapping pictures! She did an amazing job of capturing things as she sees them! I let her do it! This is how we help our kids feel comfortable with who they are! Now when she comes with her face pierced.....I'm going to have to remind myself that she has to have a sense of individuality! Oy!

No comments:

Post a Comment