Me being Mom

Me being Mom
photo by Anna Marie Pictorials

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Witch Book? Anyone?

One of these days I will stay in bed and read all day because I want to and I can! And not because I have the flu and lack the energy to do anything else!

As you know, I am a self proclaimed bookworm. I was stuck in book limbo for a few months, re-reading a series that I love dearly, The Hunger Games. I was reading alongside the teen group that I mentor. You might remember the story, none of them had read a book before. Can you imagine, living to see 16 and never reading an entire book? Inconceivable!! So, I introduced them to the wonderful world of reading! And together we read the Hunger Games trilogy. It was a beautiful moment.............Anyway, then I found myself stuck, wondering what I should tackle next, when my wonderful sister-in-law recommended a series that I had never heard of. (A fact that shocks me since the series, so far, has been wonderful, how have I never heard of it before?)

Book 2 in the Hollows series
The Hollows by Kim Harrison is a supernatural urban fantasy(.....mystery.....MAGICAL.....did I forget anything?) series.......well, I think it's a great series so far! I am on the 2nd book at the moment! The first book "Dead Witch Walking" wasn't exactly a quick read but that's what I liked about it. I took my time reading it, taking in all of the characters history and falling in love with the story line.It kept me interested all the way to the end and I found myself wanting to snatch the book out of my purse and read at the stop lights while I was on my way to pick up the kids from school. The 2nd book "The Good, The Bad and the Undead" has been even more interesting. The main character, Rachel Morgan, is a Witch/detective and has so much spunk, sometimes I want to be her. If you like the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evonovich, you might enjoy this series. Rachel Morgan finds herself in a few awkward predicaments throughout the story and you just never know how she will get out of it! So far, the books have been full of memorable characters and I look forward to seeing how the story evolves in each addition.

Overall, I would say that the story line has been unpredictable and fun to read. Often I find myself reading a book and can tell you what will happen before it happens. Sometimes a story line is just that predictable. I didn't find that with the first 2 books and hope that the rest of the series follows suit!  Even if you don't get into the supernatural you should really give this series a try! According to Wikepedia there are 9 mystery novels, 6 short stories and a graphic novel. Does that sound right to you? I'll have to look into that further. I browsed amazon but I've realized lately that amazon doesn't exactly tell you which books are in a series and the order they should be read in........I'll figure it out.......Anyway, if you're looking for a good book to read, I would give The Hollows series a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment