Me being Mom

Me being Mom
photo by Anna Marie Pictorials

Monday, January 23, 2012

The Great Tattoo Debate



 
I have always been a fan of body art. When I was a kid I would draw tattoos on my barbies. They usually washed off before my Mom saw them. I turned 18 and got my first tattoo. I was renting a room from my uncle at the time and when he saw the tattoo he flipped out. He told me that if I couldn't follow the house rules I would have to move out.......Apparently, he had a house rule for his children.....No tattoos! Newsflash....I'm not your kid. Whatever. Let's not bring up the badly done tattoos he was sporting! I think back to it now, the tattoo I got.......not my favorite. It's a tribal looking "thing". After that I was kind of lost when it came to tattoos. I never knew what to get. I just knew I had to have one more. Then another. And another. I only have.......let me count them.......4 tattoos.....wow it seems like there should be more! Now that I have a steady mind, if you can call it that, I have made a promise that each tattoo I get should have meaning or represent who I am, or people who have touched my life. I especially love the tattoos that tell a story. An entire back piece dedicated to firefighters who have given their life to saving others, the world trade center, a battle with cancer. The list goes on and on. To each his own. It's your skin.


sorry....bad photo!
Recently, my 16 (almost 17) year old son has decided he would like a tattoo. Hmmmmm? Let me think about it. No. Not because I want to be the mean mom. I just think you need to think about it long and hard before you get that first tattoo. I bet if you asked the first tattooed person you saw after reading this if they truly loved their first tattoo they would say NO! I don't like mine. I would love to cover it. But it's one of those tattoos that would be a B!tch to cover up. It's all black. I'll post a picture. If my son came to me and said "Mom, I want to get a tattoo on my back that says "Mom"......I would have a hard time saying No to that. lol! You've got your whole life ahead of you and lots of skin to  cover son! Don't rush into it.

But then again.......You only live once. This is when the little angels on my shoulder duke it out! The Good angel is shocked that the Bad angel is considering letting her son get a tattoo even if it says MOM! And the Bad angel is......Oh! My!.......I can't even tell you what she just did! And here I am, telling them both that I would not let him get a tattoo without the permission of his father and that both his father and I should be there when he gets said tattoo.......And that's final!

In loving memory of Connie Sue
This is one of those times when I know I should lead by example and lately I have been itching to get a new tattoo. I've thought long and hard about what I would get. I really think it's time to work on that leg warmer! (My sister in law says it's a leg warmer) I want to add to the leg that has the magic wand and the tribal "thing" and since the magic wand is a symbol for my Aunt who passed away I thought maybe it would be cool to make that "leg warmer" a collage of memorial tattoos..........Is anyone buying this at all? It makes sense to me. I guess that's all that matters. So, if my son came to me and said "Mom, I want to get this tattoo because it means this to me.........", would I let him do it? Still not sure.

Now, if he said to me "I want to get a mustache tattooed on my finger......I'd say "NO!"....but I would secretly laugh about it. Because you have to admit. That's just funny!


No comments:

Post a Comment